Sunday, April 26, 2015

Rock Painting, a new artistic challenge

Recently I started experimenting with painting on rocks. I find this type of painting very addictive.
The challenge is finding rocks with an interesting shape and pulling an image out of it.


These two rocks I collected today while we were fishing at the lake, I saw a bird shape in the rock in the back and a flounder in the one in front.

After I clean and dry the rocks I apply a couple layers of acrylic paint mixed with medium to give the rocks a good base coat.
Here is a blowfish I'm working on now. In the back you can see the rocks with the grey base coat on.


This is what I've done so far, I'm still getting a feel for all the possibilities you can do with rocks.
These I will start listing in my Etsy shop.
The last few weeks I rearranged my selling venues.

I have a new website for my original paintings    http://www.patrick-odriscoll.com

My Etsy shop will have aceo's, and small 5x7 original paintings along with the painted rocks.


3 comments:

mary maxam said...

These are so fun and have a sense of whimsy and sculpture as well as painting. I look forward to checking out your new venues.

Jane said...

This must be fun Pat, they look nice and shiny , and finding the right stone must be really fun too. I didn't get if you paint totally with acrylics or only as a base ?

MYSTELIOS said...

Very beautiful art work !!!
Have a happy weekend and creative month !!!