Monday, March 30, 2009

Last of the moon paintings (for a little while)


Winter Night 18x24 oil
The top picture shows a page from a sketckbook showing my observations on how the moon illuminates a snow covered landscape. I was interested in learning about how moonlight affects objects at night and the kind of shadows that are created. The bathroom window gives me a perfect observation post. The painting was invented out of my mind, but I used the information from what I observed that night as the value plan for the painting.
I hope you enjoyed the series of paintings on the moon. The next full moon will be April 9, I'll be looking.


2 comments:

Kym said...

What a beautiful, serene painting...I love the softness of the shadows of the trees...your work is amazing!

Pat O'Driscoll said...

Hi Kym,
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you like them.