Saturday, February 8, 2014

Red Roses repainted


8x10 oil

I repainted this piece recently hopefully for the better. Each year I learn a little more about painting which gives you the knowledge and confidence to tackle problems you face.

This painting I had for a few years and I thought it was ok at the time, but as time went on the more I looked at it the more I thought it could use some brighting up but I just didn't know what to do.  So I thought what does it hurt to experiment.
I made a middle value grey for the background from the red and the green I used in the roses and replaced a white cloth for the dark brown table top.
Now I think the painting has better color harmony to it.

5 comments:

mary maxam said...

I completely agree Pat, and there is a lot of depth produced in having more contrast. I like the balance here too.

Kev's Art said...

Totally agree. This second version works much better, your decisions have really improved the picture and have made those reds sing out loud!!

ashok said...

such a lovely work...love the red!

MYSTELIOS said...

Interesting blog with very beautiful art works !!!

Jane said...

It was beautiful before too, but so much fresher and somehow more modern now !